View Single Post
Old 07-31-2016, 12:22 PM
Guest23343

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
In your situation, I'd go with a small, quality acoustic amp. It would do exactly what you want, smaller gigs by itself and as a monitor for larger ones. It would, I think, give you the flexibility you're looking for.

cotten
*Skip to the last paragraph for my focused response here! Ha!

This is my perspective as well. I've used everything from the small Ultrasound amps, to the Bose L1s, SoloAmp, QSC K10s, Allen & Heath mixers, Marshall AS100D, and many others.

Right now I'm running a Fishman Loudbox Mini into an EV EKX15P powered speaker. I needed something I could raise up and get more volume out of for my downtown shows. I'm actually quite impressed with the EV and took a chance on it bc I found it on sale. I've had several folks come up and compliment the sound and some nerds like us wanting to know just what my setup is...so, it seems to be working well.

However, ideally I'll most likely go with 2 QSC K10s, a K8 for a small monitor and for more intimate gigs, and then expand with some bass units if necessary. Of all the products I've used, the QSC setup seemed to work the best, be the most reliable, was the lightest (one K10 on a raised stand is far easier than this EV 15" beast), and I personally like the flat response it provides. Some people feel the K10 has a "dead" or "sterile" sound, but that's probably bc they're used to setups that color their tone. They also have an awesome warranty and if you get into a pinch, they sell super fast used.

I've been using the same on-the-floor Fishman Platinum EQ/DI since '05 with an in-line tuner (had a Korg Pitchblack for many years). Currently hung up on this Fishman Rare Earth Blend soundhole p'up after owning a custom Breedlove that had the built-in version and it was killer. First real gig with the Breedlove was a live radio performance and the sound guy immediately asked me what it was, saying it was the best sound he'd had straight into the board in all the years he'd been there (this is a very popular show, so it was a huge compliment). Thinking about exploring other EQ/DI's, but simplicity is bliss for me when I'm performing.

All this being said, I've played everywhere from a small coffee shop w/ 3 people in it during a snow storm to festivals, and I've found over the years that no matter what system I plug into, the one thing that remains consistent is having a great tone BEFORE it's amplified. So, getting your EQ, p'up, etc., optimized and flowing together before plugging it in is crucial. A little tweak here and there and you can plug into just about anything and make it sound wonderful.