View Single Post
Old 01-12-2005, 05:01 PM

Quote:
This typically happens for me when I'm capoed at the second or fourth or fifth (wherever) fret and play chord fragments and include open strings.
Different strokes for different folks. My major issue with using a capo stems from cutting off a huge part of the instrument's range. If you place a capo on the 5th fret you've effective eliminated 33% of the instrument's range (assuming 15 usable frets). I see so many people trying to figure out where to capo their guitar so they can use all of their standard chord shapes when those same standard chord shapes are available anywhere on the neck without the capo. If someone says, "It's in E-flat" you should be able to whip out the old I-IV-V in E-flat without using a capo.

I view a capo as a tool for special situations, not a crutch to be relied upon when playing in any key not named E, G, A or D. Other instruments (especially horns) play in keys with lots of flats, and it's to your advantage to be able to move around with them without relying on a mechanical device.

Capos are GREAT, but should be used sparingly and appropriately.

Sorry for the rant. Maybe I'm just in a curmudgeonly mood today.

David