View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacherdog View Post
The following is offered on Martin's website:

Q: Is it safe to use medium-gauge strings on my scallop braced guitar?

A: Yes it is safe. All of our six-string guitars designed for steel strings have been tested to withstand the tension of a medium gauge string. However, since each top is unique, take note if the top starts to raise abnormally. If this happens, go back to the lighter-gauge strings.

Having just bought an HD28, the "If the top starts to raise abnormally?" is a bit disturbing. The recommendation is to "go back to lighter guage strings"? What kind of advice is this? Seems to me a new replacement guitar would be the correct response.

Is the top of an HD28, with its scallop bracing, not truly strong enough for medium strings?
My own HD top hasn't moved more or less than other nice guitars I own and it's one if not the best selling guitars so I think "having difficulty" is probably isolated to individuals.

I spent a period active with my area bluegrass association and saw some people like very heavy sets of strings and play loud and hard while exposing their guitars to different environments. Some of those people are probably the wrong candidates for a lightly built guitar.

My HD-28 has stood up to 10 years of playing indoors, outdoors, and in groups and it's just fine.

When I visit my favored repair shops I get reminded guitars are wood instruments and some do have problems.