View Single Post
Old 03-15-2018, 06:28 AM

Default Cheap piezo 3 sensor system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Martin View Post
Hi, I'm thinking of getting an inexpensive pickup for my inexpensive Yamaha guitar. I have a better guitar with a Fishman installed, but I'm fond of the Yammy and it gets a lot of playing time. I've been looking at the Neo-D, and the like, but they're more than I want to spend currently, there is an Artec with adjustable pole pieces for half that, but now I see a 3 sensor piezo under saddle setup for just a few bucks. Kinda like a poor man's K&K, if you like. Has anyone here tried something similar? There's the whole impedance issue that I'm a bit hazy about, for example would 3 sensors reduce it to something more manageable? I do have a Fishman pro eq preamp lying around which might be suitable. So anyway I'm just wondering, and would appreciate any suggestions.

The 3 piezo things sound horrible. I tried them.

Andoer do a great range of budget pickups or piezo systems with goose neck condenser mic.

Either get the system with under saddle piezo with gooseneck condenser mic, or stacked sound hole humbucker with goose neck condenser mic. Both systems allow you to blend the sounds.

It costs about £20 GBP

One thing I didn’t consider is that the sound hole pickup would benefit from the guitar being strung with electric guitar strings, but I use iRig acoustic now which is awesome. The pickup will sense the wound strings as the inner core is steel but because the are bronze wound they are a bit quiet. Not an issue if you used the piezo saddle system though.

Here’s a demo of the sound hole puck-up with gooseneck condenser mic...

https://youtu.be/3N2iavjw9HA