View Single Post
Old 03-14-2018, 08:37 AM

I bought Frettingflyer's X20 (loving it - thanks!) and the SCGC low tension strings are still on it. I like them, but having tried no other strings on this guitar just yet, so there is no real basis for comparison. He did not tell me how long they have been on there, but they seemed fresh and still seem to be holding up well, and I've had the guitar for about three weeks now. [BTW, X20 was the hit of a regular jam over the weekend, and I had to pry it from one fellow's hands to leave. I suspect he will be looking at the Emerald web site a lot over the coming weeks. I apologized to his wife in advance.....]

Normally I use Elixir Nanoweb medium-lights or D'Addario PB's EJ-17 on my guitars, and I lean toward medium gauge (56-13) most of the time. Since I use a number of alternate tunings, I need heavier bass strings in particular - sometimes the sixth string goes down to C, and the fifth string to F. I have not put the SCGC low-tensions strings though all of my tunings yet - tuning up and down repeatedly is the quickest way to kill a set of strings. I usually save that for the last week before a string change, and otherwise keep certain guitars in different tunings to minimize the changes. For any gutiar that will get tuned up and down normally, I use the lower cost D'Addario's.

I've only played the TI Plectrums once, on a visiting Furch / Stonebridge GA. They seemed similar in concept to the SCGC strings, and were quite nice. That fellow plays in Open C tuning a lot, so he also likes heavier bass strings.