View Single Post
Old 01-04-2017, 04:02 PM

Aintno, WSR, thanks for the kind words.

I came across practice logs when teaching music performance in a pre University college. The main reason for the students keeping practice logs was to generate evidence for internal and external examining. I forget the fine detail now but the grading criteria for the performing units depended on students demonstrating activities and understandings which practice logs could verify.

The students frequently hated them and getting them completed adequately became a game that some teachers came to enjoy.

I had learned to play forty years before this and had not used practice logs in my learning. I'd not had a teacher either, although when I started to teach guitar myself, I kept lesson logs fervently.

Since retiring I got a small home recording setup and found detailed logging of my recording sessions and the results very useful.

When I was playing guitar for money I didn't keep records except for financial purposes like tax and expenses. Success or otherwise of my practice was reflected in my performances. Logging can be useful when you have no other way of measuring your progress.