View Single Post
Old 01-21-2011, 11:05 AM

It bugs me when quotes are taken out of context. (I have been guilty of the same in the past, but now try very hard not to do this as it is not fair to the OP). I never said a carbon fiber guitar could not be acoustic, I said if it sounded different than an acoustic guitar. I specifically said it may not be possible to get Carbon fiber to vibrate in a way that is similar to wood. You will notice that the last line of my post (that was inexplicably left out in several quotes) said:

Quote:
Carbon fiber guitars could be another, but the jury is still out as to if they can be built in a way that still sounds like an acoustic guitar. I believe they might eventually solve this, but it may not be possible. Carbon fiber may not be able to vibrate in a way that is similar enough to wood no matter how much effort is put into design. If that is the end result then the carbon fiber guitar will be something different, but still worthwhile.
I am not sure how adding braces to a very stiff material allows the material to vibrate enough to create a sound that is not stiff, but perhaps it is possible and I have not tried a model that had the bracing. I have tried both the Rainsong line and the CA line, and in fact missed out on the purchase of a GX performer by 5 minutes that I wanted badly, but it did not play like a traditional acoustic, and sounded quite different. I liked its plugged in sound, and wanted a guitar that would be durable regardless of where I took it and it would have met that need very well (it was also priced at an almost giveaway price which helped motivate me).