View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
The trial and error occurs mostly with those who are inexperienced and figure it is less likely to screw up if they repeatedly make small adjustments at a time and then check to see what effect the change had. Instead, measure twice, cut once, right to the line. Done. Work on developing the skills to be able to do that every time.
Again, very excellent advice, Charles.

However, this time I would like to clarify that the whole point of this thread is for non-luthier, non-experts like myself to get more familiarized with acoustic guitar setup – something that was nothing more than a black box to me before I decided to plunge head first into this rabbit hole. (And quite the rabbit hole it is!! lol)

Granted, my friends insist that I was born with a “tweaker” gene and that I’m never satisfied to leave well enough alone. This is true. But, personally, I am not aiming to be the perfect luthier. Sure, it would be great to have everything done perfectly right and spot on. But I know that’s not realistic and I’m ok with that.

I also know that all this trailing and erroring (which I suspect there will be much much more of lol) makes hardly any economic sense in that the $60 setup fee I can pay a professional is far less than the many $$$s and hours I’ve spent so far. But that’s not the point. What I am after is the satisfaction that I set my guitar up myself and that, to me, it sounds pretty darn good and plays pretty darn easy … for me.

Now with that said, and again, I so very very much appreciate all the comments coming from folks who are clearly professionals at what they do. I just wanted to level set the expectations of anyone reading this thread …