View Single Post
Old 03-31-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
The United Kingdom is, by definition a maritime nation. Our long heritage of sailing to explore and to trade (and create the greatest empire), has given us so many expressions.

Here are some ....."POSH" which some say means "Port out, starboard home - which, "they say" comes from the better, cololer cabins when travelikng from the UK to India and back.

"all at sea" = not sure where I am.

"batten down the hatches" - get prepared for ...whatever.

"By and Large" - generally speaking (from the direction/force of wind).

"Chock-a-block" - meaning full or fed up. Very old nautifcal phrase refrring to blocks and tackles.

"Close Quarters" - origin - very crapmed accomodation, but used to mean getting together to meet/discuss etc.

"Cut and Run" - simply to "leave mooring in a hurry".

"Fathom" - equivalent of a Furrow or furlong but downwards - a measure of water depth, . hence "I can't fathom it/him etc.

"Keep a wide berth" - i.e. moor a distance from - fairly obvious.

"Groggy" - drunk, hungover (Grog was the rum ration)

"Hand over fist" , hard and fast, high and dry, knowing the ropes, loose cannon, on your beam ends, plain sailing, shipshape and Bristol fashion, taken aback, bitter end., cut of your jib, etc., all phrases in common usage, but originating from British nautical terms.
Also "three sheets to the wind" - which often led to "let the cat out of the bag"...