View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Bernie View Post
There have been threads on that subject, but in a nut shell.........

Guild is part of Fender, but just because a dealer has bought into the Fender franchise doesn't mean he has access to the Guild product line. You have to buy into Guild and a lot of dealers aren't willing to spend the money when they're doing well with Martin, Gibson and Taylor acoustics.

I'm not sure, but I don't think Gibson makes their dealers buy into the Epiphone product line. Likewise Martin with Sigma. Maybe a dealer ( LA Ted? ) can fill in the details there.

I'm not sure I understand the business model, but it's their company and I don't remember them asking my opinion.
I'm certainly no expert either but I don't think the comparison of Fender/Guild with Gibson/Epiphone is a sound one. Guild is Fender's top-shelf acoustic name, as well as a high end electric name. Epiphone (for the most part) is a lower end version of Gibson guitars. I look at Epi somewhat like Squier, except I think Epiphone is a several notches better. Martin no longer owns Sigma, but if they did it would be the same thing, you buy into Martin you get the lower priced line. Otherwise the store would just be full of really expensive instruments that most people wouldn't or couldn't buy. Now I'm not saying I like Fender's way of handling this situation, I do however somewhat understand their position.

'13 Guild D55
'13 Guild Custom Shop F20
'08 Guild JF-48
'18 Guild Jumbo Jr.
'13 Recording King "Dirty Thirties" Single-O
'13 Epiphone DR-212
Sigma DMISTC

PRS Custom 24 Artist
Fender American Strat
Fender Modern Player P90 Telecaster
Epiphone LP Special P90
Epiphone LP Standard