View Single Post
Old 01-16-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earwitness View Post
My kids took piano lessons many years from a French man who had them sing the actual notes in solfege with the melody, wherever the scale began--so for a G scale, they would sing sol la ti do re ... etc. (not just scales, songs, too, but you get the idea). Apparently that is most common in Europe. Then, when they got into choir, they used a "movable do," where the solfege singing would use "do" as the tonic note, whatever pitch that would be. Apparently more in use in USA. The kids did not like it because they had learned to associate the syllable "sol" or "ti" with an actual pitch, not just a relationship to the tonic.

Random point. Anyway, I agree with you about how to learn the scales by ear.
I'm sure that was an uncomfortable adjustment for them. :P

For learning the fretboard, though, imo, fixed do is just another way to name notes and is not very useful, but moveable do, for me, has been a revelation. With it, I can keep up with where I am in the scale no matter where I'm playing on the fretboard or in what key and I can spell all the chords I need on the fly. "Do mi so" is always the I chord in any major key. In fact all the triads are made from just 7 syllable pairs that describe major and minor thirds (major: do mi, fa la, so ti, and minor: mi so, la do, ti re, and re fa). Once I knew those, I could easily spell any of the chords on the fly because they overlap (mi so will be followed by so ti, fa la will be followed by la do, etc.) and all I had to know was how to form a major third or a minor third on the fretboard. Useful stuff and it covers all major and minor keys.

Anyway, back to the OP, if you haven't already, I encourage you to see all major scales as the same pattern of intervals. In my view, fingering changes depending on what you're playing and how you need to transition, but those intervals are always the same. Best of luck!

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)