View Single Post
Old 01-12-2018, 11:12 AM

Default G major scale in open position

Hi, I've been playing for 2 years and decided to learn my first scale. All of the songs that I play use strummed chords in open position, the majority in the key of G. So the G major scale in open position seems like a logical choice for my first scale. Should help with licks, walk-ups between bass notes, etc.

I watched lessons on YouTube for this scale, and there are a lot. There seems to be 2 different fingerings, which I'll call classical and practical, because that's what one instructor called them. The classical keeps finger 1 on the 1st fret, finger 2 on the 2nd fret, etc. The practical moves over one fret and uses the first finger on the 2nd fret, then second finger on the 3rd fret, etc., until you get to the B string, then it moves over to the 1st fret.

About 1/3 of instructors teach the "classical" fingering, and about 2/3 of instructors teach the "practical" fingering. But nobody discusses the advantages of learning one over the other.

When I play a G chord, it's usually with the 3rd finger on the 3rd fret on the low E string. So the classical fingering makes more sense to me, since that's where my hand spends a lot of time anyway. But I'd hate to spend a lot of time training my fingers on that fingering pattern if it's not very practical, as one instructor said.

Do you see an advantage to either fingering?