View Single Post
Old 09-04-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDee View Post
Are you pushing the string in the opposite direction from the pull-off with the fretting finger?

This may be obvious to everyone already, but it wasn't to me as a self-taught guitarist. People online describe pull-offs in lots of different ways, so I sorta doubt I'm the only one who was unsure about it. Anyway, I never heard this until I happened to find just one guy online talking about it (I can't find it now).

The idea is, for example, if you have the index down on the first fret and you want to pull off the middle finger from the third fret, you are pushing up slightly with the index as you pull down slightly with the middle. The idea being to keep the string straight. The opposing pressure and the up and down of it is very subtle but allows for control that may help. I was having a bad time of it, before, but, after understanding this, I found it very easy.
I found the video that helped me, where the teacher talks about pushing up with the first finger when pulling off with the second.

https://guitarlessons365.com/beginne...ull-offsslurs/

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)