View Single Post
Old 12-03-2017, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
....Yes, it’s a Martin custom shop guitar. They only make one Standard nylon string and it’s not close to what I want....Might end up ordering an N20 which comes with Sloan’s, the neck I want with the right nut width, ebony fretboard and then paying an upchard to get a Radiused fretboard having it turned into a single 0 size.
You know, I'm a big fan of Martin guitars (own 3 incl. an old nylon), and I have absolute faith that the custom shop would do its very best to accommodate your requirements.
That said, I'm not sure that I would be going down that road if it were me, i.e. the 0-28 body in a nylon string. That might have an unpredictable outcome tone wise. I'd personally feel a lot more comfortable with a custom steel order than nylon for that particular 0-28 size. I know what you mean about liking Martins, but build and top-bracing wise, it's challenging to transpose from steel to nylon. It might not be at all what you expect.
With an N20, I would hesitate to mess with existing specs the way you're planning.
Certainly not trying to discourage you! Just wanted to give you an opinion before you commit big funds for this type of custom order.
As an alternative, you might want to consider standard crossover designs from other builders, ones that specialize in nylon string guitars.
Cervantes comes to mind as an example. He has a Crossover I (radiused board, narrower neck) and Crossover II (flat board, classical width) in standard models which are likely much less money than a custom shop order. He uses quality materials (and tuners). Here is a Crossover I close-up:

There are others.
Just food for thought! There's no harm in broadening your search.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann