View Single Post
Old 05-10-2014, 11:57 PM

The next day my wife and I removed the plastic fretboard markers, we will be upgrading this inlay with sand from our family's private beach here in Guam. This inlay is an inspiration from our good friends Joe & Kristen Souza from Kanile'a Ukulele who use sand from Kailua beach in a lot of their inlays.

We followed this video showing how to remove the plastic dot markers:

We used an awl and a 3/32" bit to drill the initial hole:

Then we flipped the drill bit over and wiggled it around until the glue released. In some cases, I used a small flat head screw driver to scrape out some of the material:

Repeated the same steps for each dot, then use the flat screw driver to try and level out the floor of the cavity:

Here's my wife laying in #10 thin stewmac CA glue to seal the bottom of the cavity, she's got a much steadier hand than I. Then, she used #20 medium viscosity to build it up a bit and level it more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeguam as LESSON LEARNED #1!
You can see in the picture below that I pressed/damaged the edge of the inlay cavity while I was prying the plastic out of the hole with the back of the drill bit. I recognized this on the second hole, so I was sure not to do this again. When I add the sand to be inlaid, the CA glue will fill the pressed area and I'll level it flat, but it will still show a bit.

That's it so far, I'm hoping to get the jig built by today.

Last edited by joeguam; 05-11-2014 at 05:58 PM.