View Single Post
Old 01-02-2007, 07:29 PM

Default I have two Sigmas and love them both

I have the DM-5 and the DR-41. I hadn't played much for the last 25 years and before that played classical and some jazz. When I picked it up again, I decide I wanted to play steel string acoustic type music. I love the sound of the acoustic (who on AGF doesn't right??). The DM-5 I had bought for my wife to replace a Nagoya of hers that I snapped the neck on. It has a spruce top and mahogany back/sides. When I first picked it up, I didn't like the sound. There was a chip in the saddle so I thought I would take it to get replaced 'cause it buzzed. When I got it back set up right with a bone saddle it was like a completely different guitar. I was amazed. I liked it so much I decided to buy the DR-41 for a little more bling and a rosewood back/sides. I got the DR-41 saddle and pins replaced as well and I love it. These guitars (particularly the older ones) sound as good as any Martins I have tried, but to be fair, there are a lot of good Martins I have not tried. I did recently order a Taylor but I will always give fair play to my Sigmas. The value is not really collectible. The age would make it more valuable but these are VERY UNDERVALUED guitars IMO. If anyone wants a Martin but can't afford it right now, find an older Sigma and get it set up with a new saddle and pins and it may really surprise you.
Taylor 815C, Taylor 410e, Taylor 314ce, Taylor 224ce-K DLX, Taylor 110e, Martin D-18GE, Martin D-14 Woodstock, Little Martin Felix II, Sigma DM-5, Sigma DR-41, Martin 000x1e, Washburn 314k Parlor-125th anniv, Yamaha FG730s, Liberty Mahogany resonator
Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Epiphone Sheraton II, Fender Amer. Std. SSH Strat, Ibanez SZ520