View Single Post
Old 08-27-2017, 12:45 AM

Default Ditto Pono

Just as in guitars, all solid wood construction is equally important in an ukulele. That's not to say you can't find a decent sounding one with just a solid top. Kala, Ohana and Mainland are a few that come to mind as moderate priced instruments that play decent. They would all offer an adequate travel uke. If you don't have a shop near you where you can try out one in person, I'd recommend contacting a good online supplier like Uke Republic or Mim. Both are accessible folks who could help you make a good selection. They both also always do a good setup on every instrument regardless of price point. If you don't mind traveling with something nicer, Pono is an excellent value. Hard to find better bang for your buck. I have a Pono PC baritone cedar top/acacia and tone, fit/finish, and playability is a good as my much more expensive ukes. The Ukulele Site would be your best source for a Pono (also, they do an excellent setup on every instrument). They may not be quite as accessible though, as they are a super popular Hawaiian B&M + online store. Phone contact can be tricky but they try and I see that they are now doing limited online live chat.Also, they have sound samples and good videos of most of their stock. Many folks might consider it a bit too nice for a travel uke though. I have traveled with mine, though I usually take my LoPrinzi soprano (great uke, and best value, I think for a luthier built instrument), as it's way more portable. I don't check my ukes. I carry on.