View Single Post
Old 02-18-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Kwasnycia View Post
Hey thanks for your comments Tim, I appreciate it. The finger board is already glued in place. the truss rod is inserted and snugged up, but left out during the finishing process. Right after the finger board is glued on, I will run the truss rod back and for a couple time to make sure there is no glue squeeze out to get hung up on. Once the guitar is finished I will insert the truss rod and just give it enough tension to keep it's self from moving. This truss rod is very smooth and really only has a quarter turn of tension on it for the right amount of relief. I do it this way that if there is any possible chance of a truss rod malfunction it can just be removed easily and replaced at only the cost of another truss rod, really no labour involved. It's something I have always done from the beginning. since I laminate my necks, I have come across a couple that were not willing to give relief. The ability to revers this rode the other way to give relief, has saved me a couple of times. The main thing is the ability to do maintenance if needed without the fear of a truss rod stuck in a neck and the cost that comes with that.
Interesting. I’m just a hobbyist but am inspired by yours and Tim’s builds. I’ve made 3 laminated neck blanks over the past few years and have my opinions on them (both good and bad) but the aesthetic is undeniably attractive. I’d love to hear your observations and considerations with regards to the behavior, specifications and qualities of the wood some time if you’re willing.

Without detailing the course of this discussion however, have you found that the headstock truss rod access point offers certain advantages over soundhole access - both for this purpose and in general functional and aesthetic considerations? FWIW inserting the truss rod is always one of the “scarier” points in the build and IMO is an early point where the process threatens to go “off the rails.” I like your solution but have thus far installed double action LMI truss rods with the access point inside the body. I may reconsider this now.