View Single Post
Old 01-19-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
Thank you very much! I'm assuming if the computer (laptop, I'm guessing) being used is dedicated for this purpose, that I can get by with something pretty bare-bones?

'Bare-bones' is a loaded term.

Bare-bones yes = hot computer with fast multi-core cpu, tons of RAM and very little in the way of bloat... Eg.. Tons of extra software beyond basic operating system and DAW or extra hardware features that are going to be fighting for resources.

Bare-bones no = cheap netbook style machine with barely enough power to surf the internet and check email.

Recording audio is a tough job that computers are not really designed to do. Recording audio while simultaneously listening to audio (overdubbing vocals on a guitar track) is even harder. Playing several audio tracks while processing effects, volume adjustments, panning etc and simultaneously writing the result to a new file (mixing down a project) is even more difficult.

If you're going to buy a computer for recording it would be a good idea to spend some time learning about what things people who do a lot of this stuff recommend.

Playing Guitar - Books, Free Lessons & Practice Resources