View Single Post
Old 01-19-2017, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Default HELP - Suggestions for upgrading recording equipment?

Hi All,

I don't even know quite how to communicate what I want here, but I'll try:

After 25+ years of playing, I've acquired great guitars, really nice amps (Henriksen "The Bud" for acoustic, and a Fender Super Champ for electric), good mics (RODE NT1-A large diaphragm, and a Sennheiser e914 small diaphragm), Beats headphones, and Mogami cables for everything. I write music, both singer/songwriter stuff and solo acoustic (fingerstyle) stuff.

Here's my question... I've recorded a few of my pieces, just staging my ZOOM H1 Handy Recorder in front of the amp and then downloading it to my computer. It's been good enough up to now, as I have no intentions of publishing any of it; however, with nothing else in that realm to buy, I thought I'd focus my purchases on higher quality recording gear. I'm no techo-wizard or audiophile, so whatever I get has to be easy to learn & operate. Also, not being very savvy about this stuff, I'd appreciate it if you'd kind of "dumb it down" for me when you make your suggestions...I don't want to become a Recording Engineer, I just want to be able to make higher quality recordings. Lastly, I'm not afraid to spend money on quality equipment, but I don't have unlimited funds, so I don't need top-of-the-line stuff, as I suspect just about anything would be an improvement over my ZOOM H1.

I'm assuming anymore, that this probably requires a computer and some type of software, so, I guess that's a start? After that, I'd imagine it boils down to the signal chain and how everything fits together? So, there you have it...it probably is quite obvious that I'm pretty ignorant about all this, so any suggestions you might have would be appreciated. Thank You!

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia

Last edited by drplayer; 01-19-2017 at 12:46 PM.