View Single Post
Old 11-16-2017, 09:10 PM

Interesting post! Is that top solid mahogany? It is not always true that X-bracing will improve the tone of a ladder-braced guitar. Generally, the ladder-braced cheapies -- I have an old Gibson/Ward's -- have widely-varying bracing, often way too heavy. But not always, because quality control is so low. I bought the one I have not because I was looking for that kind of guitar -- I was not -- but because it has an incredible voice that I could not resist. It is loud, and has the strong fundamental associated with ladder bracing, but has wonderful overtones and a deep, airy (not "thumpy") bass. It has, for me, the best balance of any guitar I own. (I also has a nice old, old, old Adirondack top and old mahogany B&S w/ BRW fretboard.) I never expected this. But, of course, most of these old cheapies were nothing much when they were made, and those that sound great now often do so largely because of the aging of the wood. Mine, like yours, had been played to death and back three times over, and despite being a cheap guitar, it was easy to understand why. It sounds irresistible. Good luck with yours. I chose a partial restoration for my own, which I did myself, and it came back to life beautifully -- doubtless sounding better than ever.