View Single Post
Old 01-24-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
This made me chuckle. Those three songs done as a set were the reason I quit a "country and southern rock" band after two gigs. When the band leader called those (not on the set list, of course) songs one after the other I knew I was gonna have to have "the talk".

Good songs, sure, and Neil will be remembered as one of the greats of his era, but in a southern rock band?
While I might question a couple of the bandleader's choices in that context - BTW I sat in with a country band at a Lancaster County (PA) barn dance years ago and we pulled off a credible version of "Solitary Man" - Neil's love for country music and the artists that make it runs deep, and the respect is mutual:

After several appearances on the Goodtime Hour, Neil would write this '70s hit for Glen Campbell:

Sharing the stage with two legends (FYI Johnny Cash released his own cover of "Solitary Man" around this time - and that's the Carter Family singing backup on "Brother Love"):

An early venture from the "Sweet Caroline" album, recorded live in 1972 and my favorite break-up song (don't ask):

- and something more recent, perhaps hinting at his imminent retirement: