View Single Post
Old 09-06-2017, 05:01 AM

Default Petty's "Rebels" offensive?

A song is like a play or film, it tells a story from a point of view. Sometimes that helps us see a bigger picture.

I play a few songs that have nothing to do with my philosophy or political correctness and audiences get it. Think of "Don't Take Me Alive" by Steely Dan. Surely they did not endorse getting on a clock tower with a sniper rifle!

I play "Country Boy Song", comic farce about shooting bucks from the top of a windmill. I also play some songs about fighting and I wrote one about rednecks using long guns to protect their mountain home from the police. The audience enjoys them. They get it. Its a song from point of view.

I also do Blake Sheldon's "Boys Round' Here" which opens with a rapper singing "red red red redneck..." and repeats it. None of my black, Asian or otherwise visible minority listeners gets upset or shows it. They get it, its a song about rednecks from their point of view. In the video it looks like a fight is going to start between Blake and some black rappers, they embrace and sing it together as the video advances.

In other words, as long as you aren't in real life a racist, the audience will not be offended by specific points of view. A confederate hat, however, in Harlem, will make them wonder what kind of drug you are on!

Last edited by amyFB; 09-06-2017 at 05:54 AM.