View Single Post
Old 09-04-2017, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgottsman11 View Post
I consider myself an fairly good player, however comparable to most I see on the forums and elsewhere, you guys have some serious chops. I want to further expand my knowledge of jazz chords and different chord shapes and learn how they go together. Are there any good youtube series of lessons I could check out to better my jazz play or chord progression abilities with "odd" chords? Or should I find an instructor locally to get me into that realm?
I'm not sure what there is online, but I can list the chord types you need to know, and their usual functions (place in major or minor keys).

There are six types of 7th chord:

Maj7 = I and IV in major key. III and VI in minor key

Dom7 = V in major and minor key

Min7 = ii, vi and iii in major key. iv in minor key

m(maj7) = i in minor key. (The rarest type.)

m7b5 (half-dim) = ii in minor key

dim7 = vii in major and minor key.

That covers all the common functions.

Tonic chords can also be 6ths, in major and minor keys.

Make sure you know as many shapes as you can find for those types (4-string shapes are fine) for every key, all over the fretboard, in various inversions (root needn't be on the bottom). Focus on maj7, dom7 and min7 first.
The CAGED system may help here. Any major chord (all 12) is playable in 5 different shapes. Each one of those can be expanded into a maj7 or dom7 version.
Also a maj6 chord is the same as an inverted min7 - the same shapes work for both. C6 = Am7
Likewise, a min6 chord is the same as an inverted m7b5 - the same shapes work for both. Am6 = F#m7b5.

For chord sequences, practice ii-V-Is:

Dm-G7-Cmaj7 (or C6) = ii-V-I in C major
Dm7b5-G7-Cm(6 or maj7) = ii-V-i in C minor

12 major keys and 12 minor keys, remember! But go for jazz keys first, like F, Bb and Eb, not the sharp keys you're used to as a guitarist. (You need to know them too, but they're rare in jazz.)

Going further....

Dom7s are frequently altered, which form a few sub categories, usually defined by associated scales:
7b9, 13b9 = HW dim
7#9, 7b9, 7#5#9, 7b5b9, etc = altered
7#11, 9#11, 13#11 = lydian dominant
9#5, 9b5 = wholetone

Lydian dominant chords are normally used as bII, bVII or IV chords, rarely as V chords. The others are mostly used as V7 variants.