View Single Post
Old 05-27-2013, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Admittedly, I am a bit biased, as I own and use a Bose L1 Model I Classic and am a HUGE fan of that system for acoustic guitar and voice... but I have to think that the Bose is going to sound better than an acoustic amplifier, and it will certainly spread the sound around a lot better; the Bose systems have incredible sound dispersion...

I have not used the Compact. I believe that you could get one of the "big" Bose systems used, in good shape, for about the price of the Compact new.... and I would heartily recommend the Bose T1 tone generator/mixer to use with it... it's an amazing little piece of gear (see the post about the recording engineer using one with his Fishman Soloamp/SA220).

Bose is fairly pricey gear... the only way you will get a "break" on the price will be to buy used, however, as I have NEVER seen any Bose gear discounted more than 10% from retail...

A couple of things; first off, I am nearly certain that there are NO tweeters in the Base/Subwoofer section of the Compact... my Classic has 24 2 1/4" speakers in the tower section, and the subwoofer is separate from that and has either 8" or 10" speakers in it.

Secondly, with my system, the factory recommends that the performer be approx. 6 feet from the tower, with the unit behind you and slightly off to the side... I have used mine while sitting closer to it and have had no problems, especially at lower volume usage.

If you go into Guitar Center and try one... be sure to ask if they have any used ones in the back! That's how I got mine, just before I plunked down $3000 for a new one!

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)