View Single Post
Old 01-19-2017, 11:12 AM

Binding is one of those processes that is crucial to a great looking instrument. I have spent a ton of time perfecting my process. It is, besides finish, the slowest process of the build. And it should be. I take my time to make sure it comes out perfect.

First the binding channels are routed. Then the end wedge is inlayed and flushed back to the sids.

In this case, the center piece of osage is simply a filler that allows the purfling channels to be routed. It will be replaced with a piece of spalted firewood later. Before the purfling channels are routed, I cut the wedge down to the correct height for the mitered purfling. Then I route the final channels.

I love this jig. It has made my binding so much cleaner and consistent. It's also nice to be able to route a super wide purfling channel all in one pass without any issues.

The final process to get this body ready for all the trim is to carve the armrest channels. In the past I have made templates and routed the channels. I decided this time to do it by hand.

I liked carving them this way so much, I think I'll start doing it that way on all my guitars with armrests.