View Single Post
Old 10-28-2011, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

I'll be buying a Soloamp soon, and in terms of plug and play, it's unbeatable. If you plan on playing with friends a lot however, it may not be the best choice. I'd say something like a Fender Passport might be good, as it's simple, portable, easy to setup, decent sounding, and can encorporate other musicians. Louis's recommendation is also a good one. With a max budget of $3000 however, you could probably go for QSC K8's or K10's, which are pretty phenomenal powered speakers. The option of an acoustic amp is also very simple, and I know many people use Roland AC60's and 90's or Marshall AS50d and AS100d for small pub shows. In the end it's what appeals to your ear, eye, arm, and budget. I would say ask friends who play what they use, go to shows and see what the setup is any if you like the sound, and then make an educated decision.

Best of luck, live sound is fun.

Alex Evans
Electrics: 1975 Gretsch 7670 | 1959 Fender Jazzmaster (heavily modified) | 1980 Fender Lead II
Other Instruments: Eastman MD-505 Mandolin (K&K) | Sullivan Jam Open-Back Banjo (Schatten) | Fender Mustang PJ Bass
Amps: 2017 Otis Trudeau | 1964 Gibson Skylark | Yamaha Stagepas 200BTR