View Single Post
Old 04-11-2008, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flouris View Post
I want something with a warm and mellow sound (I mostly finger pick, slow.. mellow, lazy, narcotic sounding acoustic stuff) and Dreadnaughts have proven to be a massive letdown for this. At least the Dreadnaughts I've used.
Is this a guitar issue or a string issue? Perhaps the twang of the two high end strings are muted down in production with most folk albums and that is why the perfect guitar sound seems to only exist in my music collection? hah..

So, in a nutshell: Could any of you recommend a guitar (of any size or style) that sounds warm, mellow, somewhat bassy, and sounds like nothing that could be described as "bright". Also, something that is a bit forgiving on my wallet.

Sorry for how long winded this is, I just wanted to be precise in case any of you knew of some recommendations. I'm all ears here.

Thanks
though the dread has disappointed you, i still want to plug an old used Martin D-35 for what you are describing here. bassy, warm, meelo, narcotic, all words to describe the sound i get out of my 1973.

good luck.

oh yeah, Gibson J-45 too. very warm and woody sounding.

welcome to AGF!

'71 Guild D25
'83 Guild D35
'98 Guild F30r