View Single Post
Old 12-03-2017, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawjatek View Post
My rig works great for what I do, but I need a new computer. Thinking of taking advantage of the holiday pricing.

Current computer is a mid-2009 MBP 15" that my daughter used in college, and handed down to me when she got a new retina MBP. Its been dropped several times, has tweaked hinges and a slightly bent unibody. I just keep it in the studio (basement). I repaired it, upgraded OS, maxed out the RAM, and installed a SSD. Works great. I run Reaper SW mostly, I like it and have used it for years on both PC and Macs, but will also be getting PT.

DAW is a RME FF800 with a Lynx Aurora 8 for more analog I/O(8) connected to FF via ADAT (I sometimes do remote/live recording). I have a variety of external pres in a 500 chassis, API, Avedis, Neve, Purple, etc.

I have about $2k to spend. Leaning toward another mac, an iMac 21.5" w/4k display and 16Gb RAM...
The iMac would be a pretty good choice for a studio computer. And the RME interface is a great unit and with the Firewire to thunderbolt adaptor from Apple should work fine. The RME can run both DAW's (Reaper and PT) equally well
But be advised that currently PT is not qualified for High Sierra OS which is what a new Mac will ship with installed (users are reporting it does work but it won't fall under the PT support plan yet) it will likely be supported fairly soon but not quite yet. I am guessing that a new Mac still under Apple warranty and support you can probably call Apple support explain PT is not qualified for HS and get them to give you a link to download Sierra

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1