Thread: What are FRAPS?
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2010, 12:23 PM

I got a FRAP in a 75 D-18, a Trance Amulet in a Rainsong WS1000, and the K&K Pure Western in an 84 D-28.

The FRAP is by far the nicest soundboard transducer still, but the tone it initially gives you is very frustrating to work with. Loads of high end. I blend it with a Sunrise (the Hedges trick) to fill out the lower end of the FRAP. But whatever "woody" means to you, you will hear that.

The Amulet is great. But it also takes some dialing. I think the two sensors is overkill as well. One sensor really doles out a lot of information, so buy the Amulet and an extra setup so you can put it in another guitar. It's also VERY expensive!!!

The K&K is cheap and sounds great right out of the box. Something about its design gives you pretty decent tap tone despite being installed so close to the bridge.

If you get a soundboard transducer, be smart and do not use the rubber cement or superglue that the pickups come with. Use hot glue because it will have a permanent hold but is still malleable enough to be removed with a razor blade if you want to install the pickup in another guitar.