View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 10:56 AM

Woooaah,I am novice regarding Martin's and Taylors so excuse my lack of understanding or indeed phrasing.

When I said the set up is poor,I meant the action is too high for me and everyone I know.Poor may have been too strong a phrase so excuse my haste.

If its easily resolved(adjusting the action) then thats great but as I say I am a novice and am finding these things out by asking the question.
I just thought it a little bit of a strange thing that in comparison the Taylor's were set up 'high' and thus easier to play for the likes of myself or the more novice player.Guess Martin's price bracket should tell me they are not or nor do they to need to appeal to the novice payer who doesn't know so much yet.

I have never fixed a guitar in my life but I have played a few,I'm not lazy just never felt comfortable with fixing things by being too worried about messing things up.Also although I've played for a fair few years,the second guitar I ever bought was last year(prior to that I used a fender 65 for 20 years).
Really feel in love with the look and feel of Martins recently and the action was something I noticed along with a large number of friends.Most of the people I know dont play bluegrass but I understand the Martin concept for set up now,thanks.

All the Taylors and Martins I played sounded great,I just preferred the d28(what a wonderful full sound).They had a beautiful Martin 00042 second hand that was very rich in tone but at 3k well of my reach.

Also,rightly or wrong for me its not just the sound that matters,yes thats mega important but a close second for me is how easy and enjoyable it is to play.Because of Martins high set up I kinda dont know its going to be easier or more enjoyable to play after the action has been lowered.I hope it will but sometimes you just wanna see it and feel it before you invest that kind of money,you know what i mean.

Sorry if this has been covered,its all a learning curve for me