View Single Post
Old 12-08-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee View Post
Pfft.. what you might have said was that those that choose Martins are emulating artists from "back in the day" before Taylors existed and just about every artist on stage playing an acoustic was either playing a Martin or a Gibson.
Actually, I'm not saying that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee View Post
But what I disagree with is this notion that most Martin purchasers are above all that. They too are seeking an image as often as any other guitar purchaser might be - it's just a different image.
This is actually more of what I am saying.

My point is that there are several category of guitar buyers. But (in my unscientific opinion) the smallest category out there is those that buy according to what they hear. Most have other reasons driving their decision and later justify it by what they hear.

Same way people go on an online dating site saying they are trying to find their perfect match, and then up spending all of their time looking at the pictures. When they find a picture they like, they start reading the profile hoping to find something they like there so they have something to talk about...

For the record, I own neither a Martin nor a Taylor. The guitar I bought 36 years ago (A Guild D40C) I still play -- and I bought it for the dumbest reason imaginable. But it worked out OK for me, because I still love playing that Guild...