View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 10:27 PM

I'm 59 and more of a Taylor fan than a Martin fan. Having said that, I'd gladly buy a Martin if I was looking for a new guitar and it sounded good.

I've been playing for nearly six years now, after I'd been playing for about 18 months I decided to start looking at more upscale guitars than the Epiphone I was playing.

This was an interesting and enjoyable sojourn of visiting every guitar shop within several hours drive and playing as many as possible. For me, I enjoyed almost all of the Taylors I played and very few of the Martins. One of the Martins sounded bad because the strings were quite old and dead, would have thought a guitar shop would have done better than that.

Perhaps the 'brighter' sound of the Taylors was suited to me as I play fingerstyle without nails or picks, just the pads of my fingers.

I think some of the debate about Martin verses Taylor is like the Ford verses Chevy debate. And don't really have much time for bashing of either brand. I do like the design of the Taylor neck a LOT more than the Martin neck.