View Single Post
Old 08-18-2017, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
Shortly before Hurricane Andrew hit, I came across a grey-haired man panhandling at a traffic light where an I-95 exit intersected with a street in Fort Lauderdale. As I waited for the light to glow green, I thought he looked very embarrassed to be holding an improvises sign asking for help. I gave him five dollars. About two weeks later I ran into him filling the tank of a fairly new pickup truck in Hollywood, FL.

The next time I was moved to help someone in the street, I gave food from a nearby drive-thru.

We can never be sure whether a mendicant is truly in need or working a scam but I would hate to fail helping someone in desperate circumstances because I couldn’t shake a feeling of suspicion.
You reminded me that I never really answered the OP's question.

Anyway, I don't give pan handlers money. I usually will give them either my entire bag lunch (if in the morning) or (if on the way home from work) what I didn't eat that day - usually an apple and some cookies. I don't really pay attention to whether the person claims to be a vet or not, nor do I try to judge that sort of thing.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...