View Single Post
Old 08-18-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
Not to sound all high and mighty about religion but my younger son's kid's club at church made little care packages to keep in the car in case we come across someone begging at an intersection. Inside is a bottle of water, toiletries and snacks. No money, though.

As for the panhandlers on the street, does it really matter if they are a veteran or just mentally ill? Their situation is such that they need help. If you feel uncomfortable about handing out to the needy or taking the time to buy them some food then you should be looking at your own priorities IMO.

I disagree with your take entirely.
No one is bound by anything but their own heart and convictions for what they choose to do or not to do.
Nor IMHO should they be evaluated and advised out of hand by me. That would be rather pretentious on my part as I have plenty of shortcomings of my own.

As far as the homeless Vets go, there are services provided and while they are not perfect, they are accessible. All a vet has to do is go there for help.
If he can't get there, in many states, transportation assistance is offered.
My daughter and son-in-law are active in this area and it is a difficult challenge. The State of Ohio has one of the top outreach programs in the nation for assisting Veterans with all kinds of needs.

Many of these folks are struggling with mental issues and because of their "rights" they cannot be forced to do anything. Therein lies the dilemma.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 08-18-2017 at 09:58 AM.