Thread: Lap Cat 2
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2016, 07:44 PM

Have a build challenge on another forum, the theme is building a parlor, I decided to use some birch I snagged off a pallet and torrefied it. Did the same to some maple, making a wee little guitar out of it also. I made the bending mold shape assuming some spring back and I ended up having a shorter body once the neck and tail block was on. Had to rig up my new bending iron to narrow the lower bout which lengthened the body. Scorched a few places, should sand out.

Here is the body and the top and back of the birch, will be building the guitars in tandem. At least I will not need to find the right tools for the operation on the second guitar. The table mahogany leg I found at the side of the road. Cut it into three strips, relaxed the stresses and did a little banana effect on them. Should have enough thickness to plane them up. They sat around for a couple of years so hopefully they are stable enough.

Glued up the sides and thicknessed the back pieces. Did a lot of flipping around and tried different combinations, not really book matched pieces. A wonder that I got what I have, the pallet had been used hard and put away less than gently. Three piece back with the nail holes lined up at the lower waist. Will be using a rejected spruce top, has a little color to it.

The back pieces are about 0.070", same with the sides. Might double them up with a thin sheet of spruce to give them a better chance of not splitting over time. Should the back radius be 15' or go for 25' since it will have the spruce laminate? Not sure, uncharted territory for me. Oh sorry that was a bad word. Double back and sides. Don't want to sound too common.

Still need to decide whether to call attention to the three piece back with a strip between them or just join them. Will be doing maple binding. The fretboard and bridge probably jatoba, the piece to the left on the spruce.