View Single Post
Old 09-05-2013, 06:43 AM

I just have to weigh in here. I purchased a MMV at my local GC this past weekend and got a great Labor Day deal.

I absolutely love the guitar, but from reading all of the discussions about the MMV vs D28 and D35 I prenegotiated with my salesman to offer the same discount if I chose to trade up to either of the other guitars.

I sat in the store with my MMV ($1,225 out the door), a HD-28 ($2,300 best deal), and D-35 (didn't get to pricing).

First, internally I cannot see any difference between the HD-28 and the MMV. Externally, I actually like the MMV better. I am not saying that all MMV's are nicer than HD-28's, but my interpretation of the grades of wood put my MMV as better than the HD-28 on all sides.

The HD-28 will have better $ value retention, has herringbone binding bone nut and saddle (very few can tell the sonic difference) and I admit I would like the bone, but not for $1,000 price difference.

I will give the HD-28 credit for the neck. I did like that neck the best.

Honestly, the only thing I liked more about the D-35 was the back. It is pretty, but again, not worth the $800 or so price difference.
As for sound, I honestly liked the MMV more than both guitars. It had a better bass response, which I personally like.

I would have had no problem throwing down the extra $1,000 if I thought there was any significant justification for it, but I just couldn't find it.

I walked out with my MVV and will have no regrets whatsoever.