Thread: Ibanez AF71F
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
My experienced eye tells me you're using a modern electric string set on yours - not the best way to go if you want acoustic resonance; contrary to most current belief, a well-made plywood electric archtop with built-in pickups can be set up to do double-duty as both a comping and solo box. Back in the days when every neighborhood club/social event featured live music, many a savvy in-the-trenches weekend warrior would use a post-war Gibson 17" ES-150 or Epiphone Zephyr as his one-and-only; I've played examples of each, and while the Epis are no match for their (justly renowned) acoustic counterparts, the best 150's were the equal of many a contemporary non-cut L-7 - as the former owner of an early white-label A-series '47, not something I say lightly...

My thoughts:
Find yourself a good archtop tech - someone who really understands what these puppies are about and knows what he/she is doing - and get yourself a '50s-style jazz/rockabilly setup: heavier strings (wound G, 12's minimum, 13's if you can handle them); an all-wood bridge (available from StewMac for about $20, and have the base fitted to the contour of the top - you want as solid and direct a path as possible from the strings to the top, and you'd be surprised what a tone-sucker that Tune-o-Matic is); a fret leveling; and the lowest possible action for your touch/style, that'll let you lay into it without rattling/buzzing/choking out. I'm currently down to two full-depth archtops - one acoustic, one electric, both Godins (5th Avenue and CW II) - and while the pure acoustic version has the clear edge in tone and projection (I'm using PB 14's), the electric (13-56 flats/half-rounds, depending on the next gig) has comparable tone and sufficient volume for basement jams and unplugged comping behind a solo singer. BTW, even with a heavier setup there's absolutely no reason you still can't do da blooz - the first generation of electric players used a similar setup, and plugged into a nice low-/mid-powered tube combo you'll get a sweet woodiness in your tone that'll evoke images of the heady mix of barbecue, moonshine, and tobacco smoke at some Alabama juke joint...

Awesome info. Thanks!!!

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made