Thread: Fishman Solo
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2008, 10:04 AM

Default Still Preliminary Results

No A-B comparison or stuff like that yet - I'm struggling with limited time to get this thing ready to so a show Saturday.

I can say that simply plugging a guitar and mic straight in sounds pretty nice, seems pretty loud with some headroom left - which is pretty much what it was designed for. It sounds more like a LoudBox than a Bose to me.

My situation is more complicated than that. I need to be able to quickly switch guitars, and I also use a Digitech VoiceLive harmony thing. The guitars are voiced quite differently and I prefer to use two different pre-amps to make them sound best. All of this results in a fairly complicated cabling connection, and I was hoping to use my Bose T1 (mixer), as it is already prefectly set up for what I need, it's very convenient to use while playing, and I already know how to use it.

There's a pretty loud hiss when you plug the T1 into the SoloAmp, and nothing I tried would get rid of it. Pooh.

I made an initial test of one guitar, mic and harmony into a different, little Behringer mixer - it just may work ok. I hear a little noise, but much less than the T1. This alternative is not ideal for me, appearance- and logistics-and convenience- wise, but I'll make it work.

I understand/assume that the SoloAmp is focused and tuned SOLELY on acoustic guitar and a general microphone, so I guess something in the T1's Master Out is not what the SoloAmp is expecting, more tuned to the Bose L1. Oh well.

I very much WISH my setup was simple - that's what this quest is all about in the first place. But I like and need to play both my 6 and 12 strings, and the modest bit of harmony adds a needed touch of variety - so I gots to do what I gots to do!

I'll check back in after my Saturday gig, which is the real test anyway...

Thanks for listening fellows - Mike