View Single Post
Old 05-06-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15 Man View Post
I found this on the net someplace a few years ago; and keep it for my own information and also times like this.

Nato is one of the softer hardwoods like Mahogany, Walnut, Koa and Maple. It’s a good, but less expensive alternative to Rosewood. It’s also known as Eastern Mahogany; due to the fact that the species used in guitar construction is from South East Asia. It is a reliable, strong wood. It’s also a value-priced wood used more in the lower cost instruments. However, Nato still embodies all of the properties of more commonly used (and more expensive) Mahogany. It’s not a bad wood at all for a lower cost instrument.

Genus names: Mora, Mora excelsa, Mora gonggrijpii.

Family: Leguminosa

Other Common Names:
Nato, Nato rojo (Colombia), Mora de Guyana (Venezuela), Marobukea, Mora (Guyana), Mora Moraboekea (Surinam), Pracuuba (Brazil).

Distribution:
Mora excelsa: Widely distributed in the Guianas; and less so in the Orinoco Delta of Venezuela. Dominant on river levees and flood plains forming dense stands. Mora gonggrijpii: Restricted to Guyana and Surinam, a dominant species best adapted to hillsides on heavy clay soils.

The Tree Usually 100 to 120 ft high and 2 to 3 ft in diameter with clear boles 60 ft and more above very large buttresses that may extend 15 ft up the trunk. Trees of Mora excelsa 160 to 200 ft high and 4 ft in diameter are reported.

General Characteristics
* Heartwood - yellowish red brown, reddish brown or dark red with paler streaks.
* Sapwood - 2 to 6 in. wide, distinct, yellowish to pale brown.
* Texture - moderately fine to rather coarse, rather harsh to the feel.
* Luster - medium to high; grain is straight to commonly interlocked, very variable.
* Astringent taste and slightly sour odor.

Weight:
Basic specific gravity (oven-dry weight/green volume) 0.76 to 0.84; air-dry density 59 to 65 pcf.
Great info, no wonder my all nato Yamaha has a hispanic accent.