View Single Post
Old 04-13-2024, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

As promised I've been recording a few pieces from Will Mc Nicol, as unfortunately the man himself could not demo the guitar. That anomaly will soon be corrected as I am attending his workshop in May, but for now please be kind with my humble playing, recording skills, and intense guitar faces!... This is just an Iphone, so merely an accurate representation of the tonal capabilities of this superlative instrument.

First is Dragon's back, a tune I always play when I want to test a guitar... Space, ringing melody and summons such a special atmosphere. Never a piece that goes unnoticed:

Then we have another favorite of mine, "Casting Shadows". A lingering melody articulated around a drone note, which shines in its simplicity. Will is so good with melodies it's uncanny..

And one last one in drop D, Will's cover of the popular piece "Ashokan's Farewell". All of the tabs can be found of Will's website, and I encourage everyone to check out his tutoring materials (like the College, his online platform). I've taken many classes over the years and he's helped me to progress tremendously, it's such a privilege to have access to a world class guitarist like him.

Without drowning myself into the semantics, I think it's obvious even from these subpar recording that this is a superb instrument. It's loud but never brash, it sustains without being muddy, and it's more versatile than my first Tom Sands that was mostly geared towards fingerstyle. Lucia is surprisingly folky when I just want to play chords and play along. The "tactile" experience also is noteworthy, as the instrument vibrates and gives just the right amount of response. I'd also recommend a satin finish on any guitar, so nice and organic. I feel privileged to own such instrument and I am looking forward to play it for years.

This build has culminated in such a special week-end with Tom, and I feel very grateful for this hobby which gives me a lot of happiness in life.
Thanks to everyone who followed along and who shared nice comments along the way.
Cheers,

Last edited by Vaillant75; 04-13-2024 at 03:56 PM.