Thread: 100?
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2024, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Default 100?

I've got this little Gibson L-2 that I picked up about five years ago. It was in a guitar shop on consignment and had a tag saying it was a '27 but my own research tells me it must be a '24, probably early '24 at that. There's a Lloyd Loar signed L-5, March 31,1924 just 17 numbers away from mine. There's probably some folk here that know a thing or two about old Gibson's so I thought I'd post some pictures. The serial number is faint but I make it out as 76525 and it looks like the FON is 11966. I was told at the shop that they were told that it was sent to Gibson at some point for unspecified repairs. It has a small repaired crack on the treble side from the finger board to the sound hole so I'm guessing it was probably that. It looks like it was probably refinished or at least oversprayed, maybe as part of the crack repair. You can see what looks like pick rash under the finish by the sound hole. Is there a good resource on what original hardware looked like? I think maybe the bridge is a replacement but I don't know what an original looks like. I think maybe the tailpiece, tuners & truss rod cover are original although one button must have been replaced? No idea about the nut. Anyway, happy birthday to a fun little guitar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gibson l2.jpg (25.0 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg gibson L-2 serial number.jpg (34.2 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg gibson l2 soundhole and bridge.jpg (48.5 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg gibson l2 back 2.jpg (43.3 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg gibson L-2 FON.jpg (18.5 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg gibson l2 tuners.jpg (54.4 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg gibson l2 headstock.jpg (34.2 KB, 121 views)