Thread: Online lessons
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2024, 03:56 AM
Charter Member

I became an online, one-to-one teacher with the first Covid lockdown in 2020. Through my You Tube channel I started getting requests, and one great guy from Atlanta acquainted me with "Zoom". which I still use.

I believe that most teachers sell a "suite" of so many sessions, some asking for payment in advance. This will ensure them of income and perhaps encourage clients to stay with them.

I don't do that.

I offer one hour sessions for which I ask $55 paid via Paypal AFTER each session.

At the end of each session, I ask my client if they would like to book the next, and we agree.
Whilst I recommend weekly sessions - it is for the client to decide.

I don't teach classical, or jazz, and minimise theory to - "as and when necessary".

We use songs (mutual choice) to teach technique that can then be applied to almost any song.
I also teach about posture, and singing.

I often spend as much as an hour before / after each session preparing and sending info by email.

Whilst I have to charge, I do not do this for an income - I only take one client a day.

At all times, expenditure, and frequency is totally within my client's control.

I have never, yet, met a new client who didn't choose to continue, apart from one who had a very sad family issue.

I believe that playing guitar is a hobby for most of us, and so learning should be FUN!

If this is of interest, maybe you might like to PM me.