View Single Post
Old 04-06-2024, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
Using the custom guitar configurator on Martin’s website, it looks as if the upcharge is $308 regardless of the wood option chosen (flamed maple, flamed koa, etc.). The actual price may be slightly lower because it’s typical for dealers to discount the custom build price from Martin. This is what the flamed koa looked like on my 0-28S (even the fretboard and headstock were bound, which I assume costs extra, but the configurator doesn’t show a difference in price between an HD-28 and a D-35, which has a bound fretboard):

My wild guess is that 10% to 20% of the guitars with plastic binding made in Nazareth between 2012 and 2018 had the problem. That’s an enormous number of guitars. I think the percentage is a lot lower post-2018 (Martin appears to have made some change in glue formulation around that time), but not zero (my 000-18 was built in 2021). I think the problem is magnified on the AGF because the same dozen or so members pile onto every thread.

I got my guitar back from Paul Neri after a few weeks. I don’t think the actual repair took him that long—he had other work in the queue.
Interesting. My lowly Cordoba Cadete was $300 new and came fully bound in rosewood.