View Single Post
Old 03-26-2024, 08:17 AM

Default Choosing Between D-18MD and HD-28v (sweetwater)

First off, I live in a location where going to a good store to try out acoustics would require a day of driving one-way.

I'm wanting to get my first high-end acoustic. I have a 000-MMV and a Taylor 312 12 fret already. I'm set on getting a dread. I'm not a bluegrass guy. I'm mainly wanting to play classic rock and singer songwriter type stuff (Neil Young, McCartney, Zeppelin, etc). I'm really wanting something that is balanced. I originally wanted a Hummingbird but I don't feel comfortable buying a Gibson without trying it first. Someday I'll run the racks for one of those when I'm closer to retirement age.

My budget is $4000. I think I have narrowed it down to the two mentioned in the title.

The 18MD ticks a lot of the boxes other than it is fairly plain looking; however, the description of the neck is intriguing to me as I like to use my thumb a lot and in theory it seems like this would make it somewhat easier.

The HD-28v looks pretty and it has a narrower nut, which is somewhat appealing to me but not necessary. I've also thought about a regular HD-28 because I really like that ambertone finish you can get.

Thanks.