View Single Post
Old 03-06-2024, 08:29 AM

If you want to spend money on self-contained hardware, there are drum machines - although (even cheap on ebay) they can seem expensive in comparison with modern software (free or very cheap). The software apps, of course, require a computer tablet or phone, but we all have those already, right?

If you have a Mac, Garageband is a great program for making your own backing tracks. Personally (on PC!), if I want a backing track I either record myself playing guitar into Audacity (free), maybe bass too. I'd probably use a metronome to keep myself in time, but if I want drums I'll use a VST instrument with Reaper (an almost free DAW), although that can be time-consuming - too much choice!! (I've had Reaper for a few years now, but still only managed to get one or two songs produced on it... ( )

For rough and ready self-accompaniment - practising time-keeping especially - I might use my looper (Boss RC-1), but that's more suited to short looping sequences than full song arrangements (although it stores MP3s for playing along with).

As Robin says, of course, there are countless stock backing tracks on youtube, and if the tempos (or keys) are not quite right you can record them into Audacity and change them.