View Single Post
Old 01-31-2024, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
So it appears I’m joining the CF crew with a Journey. I’ve never had a guitar with a removable neck.

What strings do y’all use? Do you avoid round core for fear of slipping?

On my wood acoustics I used SOS or JPs; I have pb on some, monel on others.
Welcome! This question is right up my alley as I've had my OF660 for over 5 years now. I love the thing for what it is.

Along the way I've tried a lot of strings, some of my favorite non-coated/ treated:

-DR Sunbeams (no, there was no issue with unraveling. Just install with a crimp and don't clip strings before brought up to pitch)

-Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze (sound really good, but don't last as well for me and I loathe the feel)

-GHS Vintage Bronze (same thoughts as with the Ernie Ball AB for longevity, but they actually felt great- very little "squeak")

It seems to have come full circle, back to what the Journey ships with or close to it. Since it is a carbon travel guitar, it makes sense to have strings that are just as durable to the elements. I've settled on D'addario XS phosphor bronze lights, or Elixir HD Light. I like the D'addario better for feel and tone, but I love the gauge of the Elixir set. (I reached out and D'addario will not make a set, claiming that there would be no demand)