View Single Post
Old 01-07-2024, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I've WaveMapped a few guitars at various Mic locations and heard my Adamas 2087GT-8 (an Ovation Guitars product) as sounding the most balanced, articulate, and pleasing to my ears. So far, my Martin and Larrivee dreadnoughts always seem to end up with a hollowness to their WaveMapped tone, and this is regardless of mic position and distance from the guitar--but I'm still searching for the magic position. My experimentation is still progressing with several guitars and I'm enjoying my ToneDexter II WaveMap-tone-making trip. More to come ...
IR calculation is a large dollop of theory and math, but no matter how you optimize your IR generation code, is still a calculation with assumptions that are only mostly true.

An IR is miraculous starting with a pickup that has all the overtones, but horrible timber. For me that’s any piezo UST, crystal, polymer, braided, whatever.

It’s wonderful with passive SBTs that are already pleasant but not quite right.

As the pickup gets more complex an IR has less to offer and its underlying assumptions expose themselves.
  1. An IR is too short to recreate room ambience and is calculated in a way that reduces ambience to EQ anyway.
  2. A mic pointed at a guitar is not what we hear (try playing your guitar with one ear plugged and the other 8 inches in front of the fingerboard extension).
  3. Our hearing has a built in SPL driven variable EQ (remember loudness controls on old stereo receivers?). So perfect louder might still sound off.
Thinking like an engineer with a good chunk of experience in reliability and a guitarist with hundreds of gigs under my belt, I love the combination of ToneDexter matched with a passive SBT. Complexity nicely encased in the highest of quality hardware and software on the floor, and a tiny bulletproof intrusion in the guitar.

One through three above and too much time scrutinizing is either a hobby or a curse :~).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields