View Single Post
Old 11-03-2023, 01:17 PM

In cases like this it's good to take a hard look at what you think is best and what the young musician themselves thinks is best.

Unless she has very small hands most any guitar is likely to fit her.* Because wood varies so much, weights also vary considerably between electric guitars, even guitars of the same exact model, so it's hard for me (or others) to say "get an WXYZ, they're lighter" -- even if there's a tendency for that model to lighter than average. Even larger adults often dislike heavy guitars.

In such cases of youngsters and well-meaning adults, blind love may be better than all our experience. I'd suggest going somewhere (or even a couple of somewheres) and given a price cap let them choose.

The quality of guitars currently sold new from about $500 to $1000 is generally good. While there are opinions about what constitutes "professional quality" for electric guitars (and definitions of "affordable" vary too), to my mind there is no objective reason that a well-played electric guitar in this price range won't produce effective music.

Here's what is important: if you don't know how to setup an electric guitar, plan to spend money to have that done. A well setup guitar is more pleasurable to play and some faults in setup can harm the potential sound of the instrument.

Amps? I expect Steve DeRosa will be here with his recommendation, though I have not played them myself. I don't know your budget, but when I think lightweight amps, I think of the Fender Tonemaster line. They aren't the cheapest, but they do classic sounds and have things that make them work as well as lower-volume practice amps while having enough power to work in most band situations. Forty pound and up combo amps are not easy for me to lift with one hand anymore. Maybe she'll want a hand truck? Or assume that small and light is fine for starters and what she'll get for a later band is a later decision. Style she wants to play might come into what kind of amp will work best in a band, and if that's not known, maybe it's best to get something smaller and likely cheaper first and leave the band amp to a later decision.

Hope any of this helps.

*I sometimes play jumbo sized full depth hollowbody guitars. They might be too much for a smaller frame, though I've seen it done. Even a wide bout thinline semi-hollowbody like the popular Gibson ES335 and the like might be an issue for shorter arms. If the young person is something of a klutz or might be subject to having an instrument get dropped or tipped over, there's something to be said for a solid body design in the classic Fender mold. The lack of headstock tilt back angle makes them more resistant to the common and serious damage of a neck break just below the headstock.

Once you get above the lowest end of the Fender lower priced imported Squier line, there are some good instruments in that line. At current new prices, the Mexican made Fender branded Fenders start at just under your ceiling. I have examples of both (and I've played American made Fenders too) and they are no longer all that far apart in quality.

If you go to a store that sells used instruments, and one catches your 13 year olds eye, that can save some money.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....