View Single Post
Old 10-25-2023, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
On the Townsend, I think the features of that system are incredible, with the ability to tweak everything in post and really dial in the sound. I assume the models aren't totally true to the real thing, most modeling systems are like that, but as long as they sound good, I'm fine with it. They could just call it "mic A, mic B" for all I'd care. One of the cool things is even the ability to create mics that don't exist, like maybe you wish you had a figure-8 SM57 :-) Or a hyper-cardiod Coles 4038, and so on.

To me, the main downside is that the mic itself is "ok", but you can tell it's a chinese capsule, and if you AB it with better mics, it just fundamentally doesn't quick stack up - tho if you don't compare, it sounds quite good, and could be a powerful tool for a home studio.
I have mixed feelings about the Townsend type of modeling systems. I've listened to that one and the Slate. Of the two, the Townsend is certainly the better sounding option but as soon as you put either up against a decent quality mic, the difference in sound quality is apparent.

My other issue is that any investment in software dependent hardware comes with a baked in expiration because a day will come when the company no longer supports the software and you're stuck with a mic-shaped paperweight.

That said, I do think such things serve a purpose. Many people spend years hunting and pecking for the right mic. That can be a costly endeavor with every mistake costing the user cash that likely could have been better spent. Something like the Townsend can be useful as a guide for future purchases. For example, if you like the 49 emulation, you might look for a dedicated 49-esque mic. These systems can give the user some sense of the flavor of the modeled mics but they're no substitute for mics dedicated to that particular sound. Even lower-cost offerings like, for example, the ADK T FET offerings, will outshine the modeled systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I hoped when UA took them over, with David Bock involved, that maybe they'd come out with a truly high quality mic that supported all that manipulation. So far, that hasn't happened, and now they've just released an even lower end mic. Probably makes sense from a sales standpoint. But a really great mic that let you do all that polar pattern/proximity manipulation after the fact seems like it'd be very cool, (if expensive).
A lot of people hoped that would be a productive partner ship but UA and David Bock have parted ways. It must be over a year ago by now.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube